Saturday, December 17, 2011

How am I gonna deal with my period in a rural village in Tanzania this summer? TMI I know but its a problem.?

I'm going to work in an orphanage at the base of Mt. Kilimanjaro for a couple weeks this summer, but I'll be on my period. Should I just avoid the trip all together? I'm not sure how good the plumbing and stuff will be considering the average yearly income per capita is $248. Will it be worth it?|||I agree with taking your own supplies; if it's only a couple weeks then the smaller tampons are easier. If you use pads; those are available in almost any shop. The plumbing may not be great, although Mt. Kilimanjaro is enough of a tourist area that it likely has all the modern facilities.





(You can also find toilet paper at the little shops; I recommend keeping a little in your bags around that time of the month.)|||If you have enough time, go to your doctor and ask them to put you on a birth control pill, preferably Seasonique or Seasonale or another one that allows you to go 3 months without a period. If you get the monthly pills, simply skip the off week and start the next pack. This way you won't get your period at all while you are there.





If this isn't an option, just take tampons/pads, and lots of baby wipes. The baby wipes will help you stay fresh and comfy even without running water and such.|||Well the locals manage. Women have done since time began.





Take with you your usual product, tampons are easiest. The other female staff will soon tell you the procedure. Probably sanitary products are burnt on open fires or incinerators, the same as all the other combustible refuse.





I certainly would not advise that you use medication to alter your cycle, every drug has a side effect even though it is not always evident at the time.





Have you considered :- Do they have toilet paper?|||Just take enough supplies for the entire time. You know how much you usually go through. Just make sure you have enough for the whole time and a bit more.





And even in those poor countries, many of the women use modern products for this.





Also my daughter has a device for women called a "freshette" or something like that to allow women to pee standing up. Because sometimes in these countries the toilets are disgusting.

No comments:

Post a Comment