Monday, December 12, 2011

What time period should I base my novella in?

I am writing a novella about a princess of a small kingdom. She is a strong vigilante type in that she stands up for what is right in unconventional ways.


The main conflict in the story is that her kingdom forbids hurting any living things, but 'monsters' of sorts raid their kingdom weekly. The princess asks her father why no one can ever hunt down the monsters and put an end to the kingdoms suffering, but he always insists that it is against their laws. The princess secretly bands together a group of vigilantes who hunt down and kill the monsters one by one. Slowly the princess becomes more and more savage, and begins to evolve (literally) into a monster.


The plot is inspired by the quote: He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche





My question is, should I base it in mid evil times? I was also thinking of making it where the magical world is hidden underneath the modern mortal world, which maybe could add more conflict if I add a mortal character or something?


Or maybe I just shouldn't specify the time?





Thanks for thoughts and opinions :D|||The specific "time" in fantasy doesn't matter, and in most cases (although in some) its not directly answered.|||Sounds like fantasy to me, which would have no time specified. Monsters don't exist, and I'm not aware of _any_ medieval cultures where girls were allowed to be "strong vigilante types", especially not girls of noble birth.|||Many fantasy stories don't really tell you which time they take place, so if you don't feel is necessary or it doesn't have an important role in the story, you can just tell the story and not mention anything.|||Great idea! And yes, put it in mid evil times. But don't use the word monsters - it's too ... boring. I mean yes, put the monsters, but don't use the word monster. If it's something like a dinosaur, say, behemoth or leviathan. If it's something else look for a word that best describes it besides "monster" to make it sound more like mid evil times and make it sound more exciting! I really like the idea and once you're done e-mail me!|||Ohh, that actually sounds amazing. :D I love the turning into a monster part. It isn't a normal 'they all live happily ever after' ending,which is refreshing.


Are all the monsters actually people who decided to harm things? Or is it just the princess? Wither sounds pretty awesome. As long as there are plot twists and turns, I think it could turn out really good.


Hmm, if I were you I just wouldn't specify the time. That way, you have more free reign, and it could even be a distant future that seems very medieval due to something or other. But whatever suits you best would probably work well. :)





EDIT: OMFG. This is my 500th answer!|||It does sound like a fantasy. But it could be a medevil story.|||Same as above- I'd not be too specific about it and let the readers decide for themselves. Some of my favourite stories do this, fantasy or otherwise, and they often don't reveal a location either. It would be fun to leave hints though, play with the imagination a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment