Sunday, December 4, 2011

CA Unemployment Base Period Question?

I was laid off and Dec. '08 from a job I only worked 9 months at. I filed for UI that same month and based on the unemployment base period chart, I qualified for unemployment from July 07 - June 08. Now that my UI is running out, is there any way I can collect UI for the remaining period I worked between June 08 - Dec. 08? Or is it a lost cause and I should just file for an extension? Thanks!|||I'm going through the exact same thing right now and unfortunately I received a letter today saying my extension has been denied because "You do not have earnings in excess of 40 times your weekly benefit amount or 1.5 times the highest quarter in the base period of your regular claim." and after talking to an edd rep, being on hold for an hour, none of my questions were answered in fact the rep had to ask me to spell my name four times because he " doesn't understand English very well." His words not mine. After doing my own research on the edd website I have found out that "This requirement denies benefits to claimants whose earnings in a 12 month "base period" are below the earning indicate a short or temporary attachment to the labor force." I read you were laid off after 9 months, I was laid off after 10 months and it is basically because that short time of employment that edd is denying my extension. By the way they file your extension automatically. Im not saying its a lost cause but good luck I feel your pain. Im off to mail my appeal and hopefully the Judge at my hearing will take into consideration that my short employment at no fault of my own is not a reason to cut off all my finances.|||Call EDD and ask. A link is below.

No comments:

Post a Comment